Friday 6 June 2014

My First MRI of Brain with Contrast

Epilepsy could have some underlying cause. 

My mother took me to the neuro physician the next afternoon.  The hospital in which he was consulting was nearly 8 kms from our home.  He used to consult for a couple of hours in the afternoon from 2pm.  We had to be there by 1:30 pm and get a token, otherwise we will have to wait for our turn for consultation.  We used to go to the hospital and return by auto.

We consulted him and told him that the frequency of seizures had increased.  The Doctor asked us to take an MRI with Contrast of my brain.

We went to the theatre where MRI is done, the technician asked me to get a Creatinine test done and come with the report. (Creatinine test is a kind of blood test which has to be done when MRI is required with Contrast.  For Contrast, they give an injection and looks like that drug and creatinine level are related)

The injection given before MRI with Contrast is an IV, I had to change to hospital robes and get a drip chamber attached behind my palm, to my vein.  The nurse was so good, she said a small prick and then attached the chamber.  I dont know, somehow, that moment, I got ready to accept any number of injections and pricks.  Something might have worked out in my mind or brain.


MRI of Brain

The MRI technician gave me the instructions properly.  He told me I would be hearing very loud noises and hence plugged cotton in my ears.  He would be sitting outside the room and asked me to lift my hand if something was disturbing beyond a point.  The first test would go on for about 15 to 20 minutes, after which he would come in to give me the Injection.  Then the second one (with Contrast) would also go on for about the same time.  While communicating these key details, he asked about my qualification, informed that he had completed MCA through correspondence but could not get a job in software industry and had to earn less with this job.

I believe in God, He gives me the mental strength and will power.  I was reciting Om Saravana Bhava when the MRI was going on.  15 or 20 minutes would have got over by now my mind said.  The technician came in and gave the injection.  His voice was tense, the same person who was talking about pay was not concerned about me.  It looked like he had noticed something abnormal in my brain.  "What stopped you from consulting another physician?", he yelled at me out of affection.  I was perplexed.  He then added, 'Do not worry, after this injection you will be put into the same state again for a similar test'.

The next test too kept going on and on.  I could make out the same set of sounds repeated.  Finally he came, took me out of the machine and asked me to change to my robes in the dressing room.  By then, it was more than an hour and my mother came to his chamber to find out what was happening.  He kind of indicated that a surgery was necessary and said that he had undergone one nearly fifteen years ago and was alright now.  The MRI report would be delivered to us the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment