Tuesday 10 June 2014

Electroencephalography (EEG) and the results

EEG - It had to be taken at the Neuro Department at a reputed hospital.  I am generally allergic (meaning afraid) of entering the Neuro Department, because that means something is wrong with my nerves and that could mean that I was mad :-p   

The process started, there were some wires stuck to my head and three tests followed.  I was alright during the tests and I felt happy, that I did not have an issue related to my nerves.  But then, when the test was about to conclude the disorder struck me.  The staff who was friendly and helpful consoled my mother who was with me that there were good Doctors at the same hospital who can treat me based on my ailment.  I was regular to office then and infact rushed to office with the laptop immediately after the EEG.

The next day, the result from the neuro department indicated that I had epilepsy.

Epilepsy - so this is not always like what is shown in the movies.  It could manifest itself in several forms.  I noticed an aged person whose hands  kept shaking, who had come to consult our neuro physician a few months back.  One more friend had a relative who fingers kept shaking.  All these are various forms of epilepsy.

I got to know that epilepsy noticed in childhood could get alright by the time the person is in his/her teens.  Some children tend to get seizures (this is the term used to denote what we call 'fits') when they get a fever.  


Seizures

There are many reasons why a person gets seizures, doctors and neuro physicians can answer them best.


I was unhappy after reading the report.  Not all words in the report could be understood.  It said there was something in the 'frontal temporal' region of the brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment