Sunday 8 June 2014

Prolonged treatment with oral medication

Seizures could be symptoms for certain illnesses. 

There are many good people living around us.  They help us during our most difficult times.

Well, life has to be faced.   

My parents took me to a good neuro physician practicing in a renowned hospital in Bangalore.  He took down my details, checked me up.  He inspected my knuckles and joints in my hand and legs with a device.  We were informed that the medicine would take a week or ten days to take effect.

I started working from home.  Within the next fortnight I got a seizure, lasting for about 15 minutes.  I was talking to my sister over mobile, got a seizure, the moment I got back into normalcy, I walked to the bed room, pulled down a bed and lay down to sleep.  When I woke up I found that I was in that deep sleep for nearly half an hour.

My mother was thoroughly disturbed, but she kept herself at peace, so that the tension does not spread to me.  We could make out that it was a side effect of the medication and decided to consult the doctor the next day.  However, the doctor was out of town that week and we had to wait for a consultation.  He informed us that it was a normal side effect and it took time for some people to adapt to this medicine.  We were asked to come for the next consultation after a couple of months.

When I get a seizure, the entire world becomes blank to me.  I do not know what I do then.  Sometimes there was saliva flowing out of my mouth, sometimes, my right hand shivered, and sometimes I was moving towards one side... all this, I got to know from those who saw me experience it.

I had to undergo bi-monthly consultations with the doctor but the medicines could not help in stopping the occurrence of seizures completely.  In each two month gap, seizures were experienced atleast thrice.  When I went to my office for work, my mother would come with me every morning to board me in auto.  The moment I reach office, I used to call her up to inform her about my safety.  Before starting from office, I would call her to inform her that I will be on my way.  My mother was really bothered about my short commute and that was because I could get it anytime, anywhere.

There have been circumstances when strangers I do not  remember have helped me.  I once got a seizure when crossing a small road.  The moment I got back, there were two men holding me, one of them was having my mobile in his hand, trying to figure out the mobile number of my husband.  Immediately after recovery, I was not able to speak, since I was in a shock and could not get back to normalcy.  One of those two men helped me cross the main road.  He held my right palm to cross the first half and my left palm to cross the second half of the road (depending on the way in which the vehicles passed by).  I convey my gratitude to those noble men, who did not just let go of me, and took care of me.

The seizures showed itself up in different ways.  Some times, I would get to know prior, 'hey you are going to get a seizure', just milliseconds before the attack.  I have got it at my office.  My colleague told me that me that her family member also had seizures but got alright within a span of two to three years.  Such words encouraged me.

Since they kept repeating and I did not respond to any medicine in a way that seizures did not repeat, the Doctor had to keep changing the medicines or increase the dosage.

I happened to bite the sides of my mouth at sleep.  When I get a seizure during my bath, I would be able to see a blood clot in my thighs.  My menstrual cycles were getting delayed.  I started sleeping for nearly nine hours a day.

At one point of time, I had to take 3 pills in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 5 at night.

When we face difficulties we pray God, I used to recite Shlokas for ChakarathAlwar everyday.  After some time, I started reciting Subramanya Bhujangam everyday.  Subramanya Bhujangam was recited by Lord Shankarachariyar at Thiruchendur.  There is a Shloka in it which says all illness will be cured when we apply the Vibuthee given at the Thiruchendur temple in a particular type of leaf.


Thiruchendur Subramaniya Swamy

Link to Subramanya Bhujangam from kaumaram.com

apasmAra kushta kshayArsha prameha, jvaronmAdha gulmAdhi rogA mahAntha
       pishAchAshcha sarve bhavatpatra bhoothim, vilokya kshanAth tArakAre dravanthe


{Oh Conqueror of Taraka! Severe epilepsy, leprosy, consumption, lung diseases, venereal diseases, fevers, mental diseases of all types, they run away the moment they see Thy vibhuti contained in a leaf}.



My mother kept asking the Doctor whether any tests have to be undergone, but he replied on the negative.  My mother's sister was worried whether there would be some clot due to minor accident when the auto toppled.  My colleague  advised me to go to another doctor for a second consultation but I somehow had a lot of trust on this doctor that did not feel like I need another consultation.  Moreover, I was worried about the medication I would take if the doctors prescribe different medicines.

In October 2010, I had participated in Grace Hopper Conference for a Poster Presentation on Reference Data Management.  During the time slot for poster presentation, I did get a seizure, somebody had got a chair, and made me sit in it.  This was before the jury came to my poster.

One day, at office, we had a meeting at the next block.  When walking from my cubicle to the door of my floor, I had a seizure.  My manager had to help me at the point of time.  Colleagues had managed to put me in a chair and it was dragged into a meeting room to give me privacy.  When I got back, a team mate gave me water to drink. I waited for a couple of minutes and then walked to the next block.  My manager was besides me on my way.

In August 2011, an article that I had written with help from colleagues got published in developerWorks.  I do not know how, but it looked like my father had a feeling that would get a seizure that evening.  We had a guest at home and after he left, I did get a seizure around 8 pm.

I had not properly understood how dangerous it was for me to go to office alone and return back home.  Had I got a seizure when crossing a road with traffic, I would have a put a driver also under risk.  Thank God, thats all I can say.

In October, I had a consultation, I told the doctor that I felt better with the recent medicines he had prescribed.  He increased the dosage of the medicine he had prescribed.  Within the next week, I got two seizures in a day.  I was afraid to go out all alone.  I started working from home continuously.  Within two weeks, I got a seizure a day during my prayer time and I had started walking behind in one side.  That day it was decided that we need to consult the doctor immediately.  It was during Navratri that year (2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment