Saturday 14 June 2014

The Onset of Seizures - Unspoken words heard and stationery things moving

Seizure (commonly known as 'fits' / 'convulsions') symptoms are of different types, depending on the area of the brain affected.  Below, I have explained the onset of seizures that I experienced.  My tumour was in the left frontal region of the brain.

The year 2009 was difficult - chaotic, regular delayed sleep, forcing me to make a crucial decision by November.  I did have a minor neurological disorder that June, which I am unable to recollect, however, at that point in time, I was afraid to consult a neurophysician, partially because of my mistaken attitude that only those mentally unfit consult them !!

In the first week of December 2009, when I was returning from office by an auto there was a minor accident  The auto jumped upon a bumper and fell on the road.  I was hurt in both my kneecaps and cannot remember the moment I fell down.  This might not have had an impact on my nervous system though.

In January 2010, I felt a different taste at the middle of tongue.  This generally used to happen soon after after I woke up, during bath, so felt that it may be because of empty stomach.  Anyway, the taste was unusual and I felt it almost everyday.  I did not consider it an issue at all.

I had some personal issues and my parents were staying with me in a rented house.   Father used to be in Palakkad and managed to spend couple of weeks with us each month.

Slowing a couple more symptoms started showing up.  Things that were stationery were found moving by eyes, only for a few seconds.  After that time, I would realize that it was, where it was.  My desk in office faces the wall.  I would suddenly hear those around me, talk about me, for some duration (not sure, seconds or minutes) and then after that period of time, would realize that each colleague was immersed in his or her work only.  I could not decide whether my personal issues were disturbing me but did not want to disclose this to my parents either.

At Taj Mahal, March 2010, with my sister

I had been to our Cafeteria with a couple of friends an evening for a cup of tea.  I remember getting the same hearing sickness that day.  The most embarrassing feel here is, I do not know what I would have looked like, or what I would have done, while was experiencing this sickness.  I could not help it.

Slowly I started stammering for words,  this happened especially when I discussed my personal life with my close friend, she noticed something goes wrong when me and thought that I had some issue when we discussed this topic.  She suggested me to meet her family doctor who could guide me on this issue.

My mother is a diabetic and has high blood pressure.  I did not want her to know my symptoms as she would get disturbed.  In the first place, I was not clear with what was happening to me.  I was not convinced that I was mentally affected by my personal issues, what was happening was a puzzle to myself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chitra,

    I can relate to what you have been through.
    Glad you are emerging strong out of your past.
    Best wishes,
    Seeta

    ReplyDelete