Thursday 15 May 2014

Radiotherapy - IMRT with Temozolomide

The neurology department works as a team.  They take very good care of the patients. 

Radiotherapy was given using IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radio Therapy).  All that I did now was google on IMRT and then write its expansion.  The Surgeons and the Radiation Oncologists have to work on a plan to treat a patient using IMRT.  The portion of tumor that could not be removed during to surgery, due to the reason that it was close to important sense organs had to be attacked using IMRT.

At first a CT scan of my brain was taken.  This was for use for planning by the Doctors.  Then, a mask for prepared for my head, which I had to wear for each radiotherapy session.  There were 33 sessions planned.

The therapy would be given to me five days every week.  Each day the therapy was given, I had to be on fasting for three hours before I go to have the therapy.  After reaching hospital, a tablet (Temozolomide) had to be taken.  This tablet created some effect to the tumor cells.  One hour after taking the tablet, radiotherapy would be administered. 

The tablet gave me side effects - nausea and vomiting.  So I had to take another tablet to avoid this side effect.  Every day, I would wake up around 7:30 am, have a tablet (this was for gastric trouble), then have my tea and go for a walk to the terrace with my mother or father.  I would then have my breakfast and swallow my anti-convulsants.  From 9:30 am I would be on fasting.  Since the symptoms for the tumor was seizures, the radiation oncologist had advised that I was always being supervised by someone.  So my father or mother always accompanied me to the hospital.  After reaching hospital, the nurse there used to ask me to take the tablet (Temozolomide).  An hour later, I would undergo radiotherapy, which would last only for less than eight minutes.  So this became my schedule.  I enjoyed the two day break given every week, when I could skip my medicines.

The technicians in the Radiotherapy center assured that we were good after fitting the mask.  Then they would rush out of the room and the therapy would begin.  I remember hearing sounds and lights passing through my eyes.  There was a video running outside through which they monitored the patient.  They ensured that the patient does not move and was not experiencing difficulty during the therapy.   The Radiation Oncologist would also come in when a patient requests him to. After the therapy, the technicians would come in to remove the mask, ensure the patient feels alright. 


The mask used for Radiotherapy
I felt mild dizziness immediately after the therapy, so used to take rest in the Radiotherapy Reception for a couple of minutes after the therapy and then leave.

I had already been informed that hair fall would be there during radiotherapy.  After the third week, hair fall started, it would be from the place where the rays attacked.  The radiation oncologists and the technicians work as a team.  Another radiation oncologist from the team had informed me that hair fall would be there, but then hair would start growing after about six months.  

Steroids had to be taken during radiotherapy.  I did experience side effects of using steroids - constipation, acne in my forehead and back and other minor inconveniences (that I have forgotten).

Will all this on side one, I was able to be normal too.  I had been to restaurants for a couple of times and attended a Wedding Reception too :-)
 
The below photo was taken a few days after radiotherapy.



No comments:

Post a Comment