Monday 19 May 2014

The Biopsy Report

I was back home on Tuesday evening, barely four days after surgery.  I was continuing all the anti convulsants prescribed.  If the dosage was suddenly reduced, it might result in seizures.  Hence my neuro physician is very careful in reducing the drugs and the dosage.  ( I am still on a few of them )  I always wanted someone to be with me.

The biopsy report was to be collected from the Institute on Thursday.  I could not sleep on Thursday afternoon.  My father reached home around 3 pm.  I was taking rest and felt an awry silence around.  I came out and asked for the results.  My father said it was anaplastic astrocytoma Grade III, and I read the report myself.  Ofcourse the term does not reflect that the tumor was malignant.

I started crying, I called my parents inside a room, closed it and started weeping badly, just like any other 30 year old would have.  "Why did I get this?", "What did I do?"....  My mother and father were bold enough to boost my confidence.  My mother told me that I will get alright if I follow the Doctor's prescriptions.  My father told me that life is not in our hands, no one has control of their life in their hands.  We need the courage to face it.  Still a surprise to me, touch wood, I stopped crying.  My mother's sister was staying with us for a week, to help my mother take care of me.  I came to the hall and starting watching television for some time that evening.  She cracked a joke and I started laughing.  Somehow, I could compose myself.

Nevertheless, I got irritated watching a movie, in which the hero would be alive only for six months from a particular date.  I still enjoy listening to a duet from that movie but the story was making me feel bad in some way.

Another relative of ours who is a  Medical Representative came home with his colleague and they were very encouraging.  They said that good medicines were available and I would get alright.

The surgeon had asked me to consult him one week after discharge, my father had shown the biopsy report to him soon after he obtained it.  I consulted the surgeon and my parents and sister accompanied me.  He told me that there was nothing to worry.  A plan had to prepared for radiotherapy and he asked me to come in for certain preparations after a fortnight.  A nurse removed the soft stitch that was done after the removal of the drain bottle.

I started spending time normally and celebrated Diwali along with my sister.  Well, the below pic was taken just a fortnight after surgery :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment