Friday 23 May 2014

Post ICU

When I came back to the ward, a surgical drain was still attached to my brain.  I had mild difficulty in placing my head, but otherwise I did not have any major disturbance.  One of my family members would always be there with me.

My face was bloated the next morning.  One of my relatives was already telling about this so it was not a surprise.  It had not swollen to the extent explained.  It was back to normalcy the very next day.

Steroids were given to me three times a day.  When I was in the ICU it was given to me through IV, after coming to the ward, I started taking in oral form.   

My surgeon, the other surgeon and the neuro physician came to the ward everyday.  They were all friendly and I could easily report inconveniences. I was asked to start taking normal food.

The surgery  was performed on Friday.  On Sunday, the surgeon came to my ward and checked my health.  He advised that the drain bottle could be removed and a soft stitch could be given there.  A junior Doctor came to my Ward and did this procedure.  It was not painful.

On Monday, as usual, both the surgeons came to check my health.  My surgeon informed me that I was alright and I could wash my hair the next day.  After I did so, my surgeon checked me on Tuesday and told that my health was in a good condition and I could get discharged that evening.

I was indeed overjoyed.  I was happy that I was no longer an epileptic.  I knew that the tumor removed was sent to biopsy to a renowned Institute in Bangalore, but was least bothered about it.

My colleagues came to the hospital during visiting hours to meet me and I started explaining the surgery.

The nurses at the ward were also very good.  Press a button at the middle of the night and she would rush to your room to know what you want.  I wanted a cup of water one night and could not wake my mother up.  I pressed the button, the nurse came to my room and gave me a cup of water.  This nurse would work at night and would be available in the morning until 8:30 am.  She would always have a smile in her face.  All other nurses were very good too.


No comments:

Post a Comment